Temporary Employment USA Visas

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 | Tags: usa visas, usa employment visas

A citizen of a foreign country who wants to be in the US must get a visa first. They can either obtain a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay or an immigrant visa for a permanent residence. Along with the previous visas, individuals cans obtain a temporary employment visa. A temporary worker visa are for people who want to come to the US for employment for a fixed period of time. These visas are not considered to be permanent.

This visa requires a prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services in order for the visa to be approved. An approved petition is required to apply for a work visa. Some temporary worker visa categories require a prospective employer to get a labor certification or another approval form from the Department of labor. Also, there are temporary worker categories that limit the total number of petitions that can be approved on a yearly basis. After the petition portion is approved the individual can apply for a visa online. After the visa form is submitted online, a photo can be submitted as well.

Interviews are usually not required for applicants in a certain age group however, anyone can be required to have an interview. Individuals of the age 14-79 are required to do an interview an order to obtain a temporary employment visa except for the case of renewals. Individuals between the ages of 13 and younger are usually not required to do an interview. People 80 and over are usually not required to do an interview as well. The interview must by scheduled at the U.S.. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you love.

Required Documentation includes a:

  • Passport
  • Nonimmigrant visa application
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Photo
  • Receipt number 
  • And L Visa applicants

It’s important to have all of your needed documentation at the interview to make the visa approval processes go as smoothly as possible.


  1. US Department of State (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/employment.html)
  2. USCIS (https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers)
  3. US Embassy (http://www.usembassy.gov/)