P-2 Artist or Entertainer Visa


The P-2 Artist or Entertainer visa is for an individual or group who is performing under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in their native country. This visa can also be use by people providing essential services in support of the individual or group.

The individual must be performing under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization built in the U.S. and an organization in another country. To be eligible for a P-2 classification you must be entering the U.S. through a government recognized exchange program. Along with this, you must be an artist or entertainer that possess skills that compare to artist and entertainers in the states that are taking part in the same program outside of the United States.

In order to qualify for a P-2 visa, a sponsoring labor organization in the U.S. must file an I-29 form on your behalf. If your employer is in the U.S., they can file an I-129 petition on your behalf as well. Once the petition is approved, you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or consulate for the visa. You must also pay an application fee and set up an interview. Having an incomplete application and interview could result in a denial of your visa. The initial stay period in the states is equal to the length of the event, it should not exceed 1 year. You can apply for an extension of up to 1 year in 1 year increments.

You’re free to change employers, but only if the new employer files a new I-129 form on your behalf. Your spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21 can enter the states with you as long as they obtain a P-4 status. They can’t be employed, but they can attend school or college.

Since support personnel is an important part of an artist or entertainers work, they can also apply for a separate P-2 classification so that they can assist with the event.

In order to start the process of getting this visa, a prospective employer must file on your behalf a petition for a non-immigrant worker. The petition must then be approved by the USCIS.

After the petition is approved, an online non-immigrant visa application can be filed. A photo of yourself must be uploaded to the application before it is submitted. A confirmation page should be printed out and brought with you during your interview. An interview should be scheduled for anyone between the ages of 14-79.

The documentation that must be presented during the interview includes:

During the visa interview, a consular officer will speak with you and determine whether you are qualified to receive the visa you applied for. If you do, they will then determine what visa category is most appropriate based on your reason of travel. After the interview, be prepared to be asked for additional documentation to finish the process. Further administrative processing may take place. When the visa is approved, you may pay a visa issuance fee if it applies to your nationality.

Your spouse and children under the age of 21 can apply for the same visa and accompany you to the United States for the same period of time if approved. A visa is only valid until it’s expiration date. An extension must be applied for if the person wants to stay in the country longer.