J-2 Visa (J-1 Spouse, Partner or Dependent)


The J-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that is normally given out by the US Embassy. If you want to apply for a J-2 visa then you will first need to look into the exchange program that is being offered by sponsored organisations. Summer work travels and secondary students are not classified as being under a J-2 visa, but there are some categories that do allow spouses and those who are dependent on others.

If you want to apply for a J-2 visa then you will notice that the procedure is very similar to the procedure involved with those who apply for a standard visa. If you want to work however, then you will find that you can seek employment when on this visa. You will need to get an employment document from homeland security however, and you should also note that if you do earn money while on a J-2 visa, you can't support someone who is only on a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.

Someone who is on a J-2 visa can enter the states with their children, spouse or parent if the accompanying people are on a J-1. They may also work or even study while in the states, but there are some limitations when you travel this way. For example, if you are dependent on the same principle of a J-1 holder then you can only apply for work after you arrive in the states. If you plan to stay in the US for a long period of time, then it should be noted that you can only do this as long as the J-1 visa holder has a J-1 status that is completely valid.

By taking these points into consideration, you can then decide whether or not this is the right choice for you and your family when travelling to the United States.

If you would like to apply for this visa, it is required you complete the online Non-immigrant Visa Application Form.