I Media Visa


Media visas are visas for representatives of the foreign media which includes press members, radio, film and print industries that are temporarily traveling to the Unites States to work. Their work must contain informational or educational media activities that are essential to the foreign media function. The media organization must have his home office in a foreign country. The media visa can only be used for informational purposes like reporting current events and not for entertainment reasons.

An I media visa is a non-immigrant visa for people who are a representative of the foreign media that are temporarily traveling to the U.S. in order to engage in their profession. Their home office however must be in a foreign country. This visa approval process is different from the approval process of other visas. The procedures for providing media visas depend on if the foreigner’s home country grants the same amount of media privileges to journalist in the U.S. The U.S. follows the practice of reciprocity.

There are certain activities the journalist has to be involved in in-order to be approved for the media visa. The journalist can be engaged in the filming of a news event or documentary. Journalist can be working under contract for companies in the United States. Media visas can go out to the employees of independent production companies when that employee holds a credential issued by the professional journalistic association. Foreign journalist who are working for an overseas branch office of a U.S. Network can receive this visa if their purpose of being in the U.S. is only to report American news to foreigners.

If a you’re interested in getting a visa but you’re a freelance journalist, you must hold a certain amount of qualifications to get it. A journalist must hold a credential that is issued by a professional journalistic organization. You must also be under contract to a media organization.You must be partaking in information or news that is primarily intended for education and not entertainment or advertising.

To apply, a journalist must fill out the online Non-immigrant Visa Application Form and pay a visa application fee. You must also set up an U.S. Embassy interview to complete the process. An incomplete interview or application could result in the denial of a media visa.

Only foreign journalist who are serious about reporting the news in the U.S. should apply for this type of visa.

The travel purpose that require a media visa include:

  • An employee of the foreign information media or an employee of an independent production company
  • A member of the media that is connected to the production or distribution of a film if the film is used to distribute news
  • A journalist who’s currently works under contract for a professional journalistic organization.
  • A foreign journalist who’s working for an overseas branch or subsidiary of a US network, newspaper or media outlet.
  • An accredited representative of a tourist bureau
  • An employee that belongs to an organization that distributes technical industrial information

Individuals who represent the foreign media can’t work or travel on the Visa Waiver Program or Visitor B visa.

The only time a member of the media can use a visitor visa instead of a media visa is when the individual is:

  • Attending a conference or meeting that he will not be reporting on
  • Guest speaking, lecturing or engaging in an academic activity
  • Taking a vacation as long as they won’t be reporting during the trip

To apply for a media visa, the individual must complete the Non-immigrant Visa Application Form. Once the application is complete it’s required to schedule an interview. It may be wise to not make any final travel plans until a visa is issued.