H1-B Temporary Work Visa


The H-1B visa is a person with a specialty occupation who wants to enter the United States for employment lasting a certain period of time. The stay in the United States can’t be permanent or indefinite.

If you’re in an individual hoping to come to work in the United States temporarily as a non-immigrant, U.S. Immigration law requires that you obtain a visa specific to the type of work you will be doing. Most of the temporary worker categories require that your current employer or agent file a petition on your behalf. This petition must be approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States before you can apply to receive a work visa.

An applicant hoping to obtain an H1-B temporary work visa must have a petition approved by the USCIS. The H-1B visa is for people who have a specialty occupation. It’s required if you are coming to the US to perform services in a pre-arranged professional job. There are requirements you must have in order to obtain this visa. To qualify for one, you must hold a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty job you need the visa for. The USCIS themselves will determine if your employment is really a specialty occupation and if you’re qualified to perform those services. You’re not the only one expected to file paperwork however, You’re employer is required to file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor that have to do with the terms and conditions of the contract of employment they have with you.

This visa program is a great one for anyone who has a specialty occupation they are exceptional at and that could truly be of benefit to the U.S.

In order to work in a specialty occupation and qualify for an H1-B, the person must have a higher education degree or relevant equivalent. This includes any sort of fashion model, government-to-government research individuals and development, and co-production projects administered by the Department of Defense.

The visa often requires a labor certification in order to get a Visa. The certification must be obtained by the prospective employer. A petition for a non-immigrant worker must be filed on the individuals behalf by the prospective employer. The petition must be approved by the USCIS.

After acquiring the petition the individual can then go online and complete the online Non-immigrant Visa Application Form and print out the confirmation page to bring to the interview. A photo must also be uploaded in the format required.

An individual must schedule an appointment to be interviewed for their visa at their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Ages 13 years-old and younger typically do not need to be interviewed along with individuals 80 and older. Interviews are usually required for people 14-79 years old.

The documentation required for this visa includes a:

All of the visa applicants must provide proof that they have compelling ties to their country that will give them the intent to return home. These compelling ties can include:

  • A residence abroad which you do not intend to abandon
  • Your family relationships
  • Your economic situation
  • Your long term plans