F-1 Student Visa


A student visa is a pretty popular one. The united States welcomes foreign citizens all the time who come to the states in order to study. Before they can even apply for a visa, all student applicants are required to be accepted and approved by their local school or program. Once they’re accepted, the educational institution will give each applicant the proper approval documentation that needs to be submitted when they’re applying for the student visa. A F-1 Student is a visa students must have to study educationally in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school plan to go to determines whether you need an F-1 Student Visa or not. 

The F-1 visa is actually the most common type of student visa there is. The student visa is necessary for anyone who wants to engage in academic studies within the U.S. These studies can take place at an approved school, an accredited college or university, a private secondary school or an approved English language program. You also need an F-1 visa if the course of study you’re involved in adds up to more than 18 hours a week. A F-1 visa can’t be used by foreign students to attend public elementary schools or even publicly funded adult education program. A F-1 visa can be issued if the student wants to attend a public secondary school ( a high school), but the student can’t study at the school for anymore than 12 months.

To apply for this visa, a online Non-immigrant Visa Application Form must be filled out. You must also have a passport that’s valid at least six months beyond the intended period of stay in the U.S. In the application, you should include a photograph taken at least 6 months ago. An appointment with the U.S. Embassy must be scheduled and completed. An incomplete application and interview will result in your visa being unapproved.

To get an F-1 Student Visa you must be attending a:

  • University or college
  • High school
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Other academic institutions such as a language training program

Students are not allowed to travel on the Visa Waiver Program or with Visitor Visas unless they are studying for recreational purposes. For short, temporary, enrollments of recreational courses of study, a Visitor B visa can be used. These courses can’t be used for credit toward a degree or any sort of academic certificate. Even if the study is for a short time, if a degree or certificate is being obtained than a F1 Student Visa must be used.

Before you apply for a visa, you must first apply to and be accepted by a SEVP approved school. Once you’re accepted by the US school you plan on going to, you will then be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. You then must pay a SEVISI-901 Fee. The US school you get approved by will then provide you with a a Form I-20 to give to the consular office when you go to your visa interview.

The documentation you will need to present at your interview includes a:

  • Passport
  • Non-immigrant Visa Application
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Photo
  • Form-I-20

During your interview, you may also need to present academic preparation for your studies such as transcripts and diplomas from places you already attended. The fact that you will depart the US after the completion of your study. You also need to present evidence of how you will pay for your education, living and travel expenses.