E-1 Trader Visa


Over the last couple of years, the US has signed treaties with various countries across the world. These are designed to help promote peace and friendship as well as boosting the trade system. Those who are citizens of the countries that have a treaty in place are allowed to obtain a visa so they can come and work in the US to develop their own personal skills. These are called 'E' category visas and there are two main types available.

E1 Trader Visa

If you undertake a significant amount of trade for the US then you may qualify for this type of visa. The amount of trade must be enough for them to justify being in the states and 50% of the trade they do must come from the USA. The lower your trade amount, the less chance you have of being accepted however there is no minimum at this time.

The requirements for an E1 Trader Visa are as follows:

  • The person applying for the visa must be a resident of a treaty country.
  • The trading firm for which the applicant does business must be owned primarily (50% or more) by individuals of the same nationality.
  • There must be a sizeable and continuing volume of trade.
  • More than half of the trade conducted must be between the US and the treaty country.
  • Trade is defined as the international exchange of goods, services, or technology. The title to the goods must pass from one party to another.
  • The applicant must be an essential employee, employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills. Ordinary skilled or unskilled workers do not qualify.

The applicant must be coming to the US to develop and direct the enterprise. If the applicant is not the principal investor, he or she must be considered an essential employee, employed in a supervisory, executive, or highly skilled capacity.
To apply, you must:

  • Complete the Online Non-immigrant Visa Application Form
  • The form will require that you upload a photo meeting USCIS requirements
  • Print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview, along with a valid passport, credible business plan of how your business will be opened and thrive during your stay in the US, as well as proof of income and / or funds.
  • If you are older than 13 and less than 80, you will likely need to schedule an interview at the U. S. Embassy or Consulate in your native country.
  • If you are 13 or under, or 80 or over, you will not generally be required to attend an interview, but consular officers have discretion in these matters.
  • Pay a non-refundable visa application fee of $315. 
  • If your visa is granted, there may be an addition visa issuing fee depending on your nationality.

Please visit the following link to learn about the E-2 Investor Visa.